Friday, March 31, 2006

Chapter 5 – contemplating life

To get back to the story, those people being nice to me made me happy. I decided to leave the happiness-inducers, and go check out what else was going on. I saw some people picking up and cleaning whatever was left of the headstand contest puke, which in my opinion was a bad idea in the first place. Clearly, I was too tired to help out, but I did so anyways. After we all finished cleaning the vomit off the floor, we all got against the wall and talked about our experiences from the previous night. I heard some pretty stupid stories considering about 4 of the wall-people were on Ecstasy the night before. As they told their stories, I drifted off, and contemplated how sad it must be to need drugs to feel adequate and good, but I guess I wasn’t much better myself, relying on hugs from girls and a beer or two. Ok, maybe a beer or SIX, followed by a couple of shots of harder stuff.
Happiness in a pill compared to happiness in a glass. I guess there are different sorts of happiness. I realized this fact that night. Different people need different things to be happy. They use the excuse of “experimentation” but in reality, they are trying to find inner peace, even if it’s only temporary. Some people need a glass or two of beer, and some need 10 shots of Jack Daniels, washed down with a beer or two. Some people need a joint or two, and some need acid, PCP, LSD, angel dust, cocaine, crack, mush, special k, mescaline, and sometime even heroine. Some people need a kiss, some people need a hug, and some people need sex. A lot of people mix these “solutions” to try and be ultra happy, but the problem with that is that: “Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.” That basically means that the people who drink their alcohol, wake up with a hangover the next morning. The more they drink the worse the hangover. The people who consume their drugs end up on a HORRIBLE down. The more they consume, or the more potent the drugs, the worse the down.

Now here’s the thing with sex. You have sex, and you feel great having it, and after you feel all calm and careless, and you just want to fall asleep. Here’s the problem though; if you don’t always know whom you’re having sexual relations with, you could get fucked over for life. One great night of sex can give you a lifetime of pain and suffering…YAY!!!

Basically, my theory is that “no happiness in life is sacred anymore.” Maybe it never was, but if it was, we screwed up big time. Here’s another theory, “All happiness comes with strings attached. Strings of sadness. So basically, all happiness comes with sadness attached.”

I realized all of this that night, while I sat against that wall and stared blankly at a spot of dry puke on the wall across from me. It took about 14 minutes or so for the puke-cleaners to realize I wasn’t even listening to them, and try and snap me out of my daze. Since my spider-sense seems to have been a little off that night though, let’s just ignore it. One of them snapped her finger, and I kind of flinched back to reality. They all smiled and little miss snappy-fingers made some smart-ass comment like “welcome back Mike.” I sighed and grabbed a rag to wipe the dry puke off the wall. I grinned and said, “We missed a spot.” They all laughed, and we all helped each other off the wall, so we could walk into the basement living room. We all wobbled there on our weakened legs, and all plopped onto the couch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home