Friday, March 31, 2006

Chapter 6 – recovery, teenager style

I got up from the couch, and I headed for the CD stand. Looking through CDs, I found Led Zeppelin Greatest hits, Pink Floyd’s the Wall, and the pure black cover with the silver letters spelling out the word “NIRVANA”. I pulled out this musical masterpiece, and slowly turned around to display it’s simplistic beauty to all those in the room. Some people nodded their heads in agreement, and two people who were previously making out, said “put it on” at the same time. So I did.

I slowly clicked open the CD cover, and grabbed the CD from the case, as I lazily pressed the “open/close” button on the Stereo. I put in the CD on the tray, and closed it. I flipped to song number 9, and the music started. The initial riff pulled everyone in, and then the song boomed to life and everyone started to “head-bang”, myself included. Head banging is a motion involving only the head. The banger moves his head back, and whips it to the front and he repeats this motion continuously. This does sometimes lead to whiplash, which really sucks.

As Kurt Cobain, god of grunge and idol of many young teens everywhere, started to sing, we all sang along on impulse. “RAPE ME…RAPE ME MY FRIEND…RAPE ME… RAPE ME AGAIN.” As I sang this, I thought to myself, why would anyone want to be raped in the first place? If you want it, it’s not rape…right?! I got so confused.

Then, I stopped head-banging, and contemplated life a bit more. We, the hormone-driven, puberty-infested, alcoholic, substance dependant, pain resistant, careless, teenagers of today’s generation live in COMPLETE and constant confusion. This is probably WHY we listen to the crap we listen to in the first place. Nirvana has some of the worst melodic concentration EVER.I mean, they are BARELY coordinated, and the lyrics make ABSOLUTELY no sense, whereas they used to have a streak of irony that, along with Kurt’s mental health, disappeared. You can thank drugs for that one. How can we, the teens, listen to this crap? It’s because Kurt Cobain, God of grunge, sounds just as completely and constantly confused as we are! We want to understand what we are hearing, and since confusion is something we ALL understand, we like the music. We like what is “vedge” and lazy, because we are “vedge” and lazy most of the time. People who are impaired by drugs have an enhanced appreciation for the music, because the artists were probably on all the same drugs and most probably even harder stuff.

“I’M NOT THE ONLY ONE… RAPE ME, RAPE ME, RAPE ME, RAPE ME, RAPE MEEEEEEE!” The song ended, and everybody stopped head banging and “heart-shaped box” came on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home